The global market for cloud computing in healthcare is expected to see a compound annual growth rate of 11.6 percent and reach a value of $35 billion by 2022, according to BCC Research. This shows that investing in cloud-based technology has become an increased priority for healthcare organisations and networks.
Leading healthcare organizations are already headed in that direction and many of them are harnessing cloud-based applications or software to make it happen
Why more and more number of providers are embracing cloud-based EHR ?
With cloud-based EHR, the practices mainly benefit from economy of scale. All the costs of running the system are covered by the chosen EHR vendor or hosting company. Along with the benefits, there are various factors responsible, some of which are:
- Influence of digitization– Around the globe, healthcare reform has mandated that it is time for healthcare IT to be modernized; and that cloud technology is at the centre of this transformation. The healthcare industry is shifting toward an information-centric care delivery that support cooperation, collaborative workflows, and information sharing.
- Focus on preventive healthcare– Preventive healthcare and cloud based technology will be a mainstay of healthcare. Consumers are now inclined towards healthcare strategies that are more proactive with preventive-focused care. Cloud-based EHR has been a key driver in the rise of preventive health, while creating efficiencies for healthcare delivery.
- Need for medical practice and healthcare delivery transformation– All healthcare providers conduct the business of healthcare according to standards and practices that may vary significantly. The most successful mitigation is the provision of location, time-independent, collaborative, consistent and real-time cognitive support which only cloud-based information technology can provide.
- Accelerating of medical knowledge and practice improvement– Healthcare organizations are adopting both technology and practice improvement strategies with a patient-centric focus. The reason behind this is to facilitate exchange and analysis of relevant medical information. This further supports privacy and security, and creates greater efficiencies in both business and clinical processes for lower cost, better efficiency and higher effectiveness.
- Increasing need for interoperability – According to black book ranking report, increased opportunities for health data interoperability, better population health management features, smoother workflows, and lower costs are driving providers towards cloud-based electronic health record systems.The ability to share information easily and securely is a critical capability, and cloud-based services are good enablers for this.
The benefits of switching over to a cloud-based EHR
Making a switch from paper based to Electronic health records has now synced with most of the practices/hospitals. The amount of monetary efforts, time and labor that has taken in creating and accepting this new way – cloud-based EHR appears now to be worth it.
- Easy to set up – The ease of deploying a cloud-based EHR solution is a bonus for smaller organizations who may not have enough resources to manage a full-fledged on-premise EHR implementation. Simple go-lives with cloud technology helps to mitigate the stress of a new EHR implementation.
- Implementation costs becomes minimal – Cloud-based EHR solutions often don’t require that users make upfront capital investments in new hardware or in-house storage systems. It is cost-effective to implement an EHR software as it does not require IT experts to install, configure, test, run, secure and update any type of hardware or software.
- Eliminates the expense of establishing an IT support department – The cost of staff resources required to deploy and maintain IT resources and related costs can be reduced when using cloud services.
- Download any charts with just a couple of clicks – Cloud-based EHR allows providers to access complete patient history and data including demographics, medication list in the longitudinal patient chart. It also enables to create, sign and even download charts at the point of care.
- Produce more reasoned treatment plans – The cloud services allow physicians to search vast amounts of data to produce more reasoned treatment plans. In this manner it enables to deliver a better return on investment (ROI) than its client-server counterpart. Patients too can utilize cloud-services to explore their medical issues and collaborate with their treatment provider.
- Collaborate more effectively and achieve better care and coordination – Cloud-based EHR permits the providers to access the system outside of the office and allows physicians, staff and patients to collaborate more effectively and achieve better care and coordination.
- Simplifies scalability – From an operational perspective, cloud services offer scalability and the ability to adjust to demand rapidly. It makes it effortless to append new doctors, users or locations without having to go through the hassle of contacting an in-house IT team to perform the tasks for you. This way they can focus on supporting other operational and clinical support systems.
- Utilization of cloud storage as foremost backups – Data backup is one of the foremost services offered by cloud vendors, and it remains the most prolific way to utilize cloud storage. The purpose of online backup is to safeguard information, whether personal or business, from the looming risk of loss associated with hacking, user error, or any other kind of disaster.
How iPatientCare helps healthcare providers leverage cloud computing for better care delivery ?
iPatientCare has a unique deployment model to suit healthcare organizations needs. It is available as cloud based EHR, which relieves them from maintaining expensive servers and IT staff. It comes with hundreds of adapters to connect with pharmacies, favorite labs, immunization and state registries, Health Information Exchanges, other EHR and Practice Management Systems and much more. These connectors allow healthcare providers to extend their reach beyond their practice and help in reducing errors, bringing in efficiency!