In the world where evolution of technology is on the peak, medical science is also seeing innumerable advances. But, when it comes to addressing patient needs, ensuring patient safety, efficiency of the system, and quality improvement, healthcare system performs far below acceptable levels.
We have only seen the medical environment where physicians rely primarily on the traditional practice of using pen-paper, memory, and few extra efforts to improve the care given to patients. However, our medical environment requires deliberate redesigning for reliable, cost-effective and sustained quality improvement in healthcare system.
Quality improvement is meant for enhancing safety, effectiveness, and efficiency. So, redesigning healthcare system requires indulgence in specialized methods and tools known to assist improvement. Simple and intuitive electronic medical records software such as iPatientCare Electronic Health Record gives user-centric design to doctor’s offices or hospitals. This tool helps hospitals to get more reliable and efficient in the healthcare process and devote more time to satisfactory healthcare services.
How quality improvement in healthcare system will accelerate the performance
Quality improvement in healthcare means a systematic approach by a healthcare organization that monitors, assesses and improves the standards of quality healthcare. The organizational chain of activities is cyclic and needs continues improvement to seek a higher level of performance. Continuous upgradation in healthcare activities can pull out healthcare organizations from inefficient traditional concepts and utilize technology/tools to perform efficiently and hence generate better quality results.
Step by step adoption of proven efficiency & improved methodologies implemented in healthcare systems such as Practice Management System, Patient Engagement and Care Coordination Software makes healthcare processes more efficient, simple and streamlined.
Digital version of the patient’s health record or simply the EHR – Electronic Health Records software renders real-time patient-centered records. The EHR contains medical evidence and treatment histories of a patient. Certified Ambulatory EHR system is prepared for the doctor’s office goes beyond standard clinical data and features a broader view of the new generation health standard of a patient.
Principles of quality improvement in healthcare system
Quality improvement is directly related to the service delivery approach, level of patient satisfaction, efficiency and outcome. A successful program always incorporates principles of quality improvement to achieve an enhanced level of performance and a successful organizational healthcare system. Here are four key principals that the healthcare systems can consider for quality improvement:
1. Work as Systems and Processes – An organization needs to understand its own delivery system and key processes, rather than considering it as small and simple or big and complex. The key to the quality improvement approach in any size of an organization should be, to streamline “Input – Process – Output” to meet the needs of a specific organization’s health service delivery system.
2. Focus on Patient – The major concept behind the quality improvement in healthcare is to get the patient’s needs and expectations on the same page. Services that are designed to bring needs and expectations together include:
- Patient Safety
- Patient Engagement
- Systems that support patient access
- Evidence-based care provision
- Patient-centered communication
- Health literacy of patients
3. Focus on the use of data – Data is the cornerstone of quality improvement. It describes how current systems are working, tracks the changes, allows comparison and monitoring for sustainable improvements. Data-driven insights deliver better outcomes, minimum variation, fewer re-admissions, lower infection rates, and fewer medical errors. Both qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection are used to improve the quality of the healthcare system.
4. Focus on Care-coordination – It is the coordination of care activities. Care coordination software maintains the Master Patient Index and Longitudinal Health Record for each patient (It becomes very effective if it is a case of a chronic condition). It helps reduce care fragmentation of a patient, by providing a secure network of trusted healthcare providers and ensure effective referrals and smooth transitions between two or more healthcare providers.
Benefits of Quality Improvement in Healthcare System
- Safe: Systematic and organized approach is intended towards optimizing care for the patients it serves and avoids harm. It embraces a culture of safety, quality, and transparency.
- Effective: By improving the ‘process’, an organization reduces the chances associated with failure and redundancy. The improved healthcare system is more on data-driven science rather than anecdote-driven.
- Patient-centered: Improved efficiency of managerial and clinical processes leaves transition space for doctors and staff to provides responsive, respectful and value-based care to a patient.
- Proactive: Improved processes recognize and solve the problems even before they occur.
- Cost-effective: Quality improvement processes are budget neutral. It avoids the cost associated with process failure, poor outcomes, and errors. Reliable and streamlined processes are less expensive to maintain.
- Efficient: Improving process makes wasteful activities associated with equipment, supplies, ideas, and energy more obvious and makes it easier to eliminate.
Overall improving the quality and performance in the healthcare environment can help providers with reliable, cost-effective and sustained healthcare processes and enable them to achieve their goal of improving care delivery and enhancing patient outcomes. On the front line, it all starts with healthcare service providers to get adopted to the environment where quality improvement comes first rather than the process outcomes. Let’s get started with quality improvement in healthcare system.