The brand new decade is on the horizon, Telehealth technology has actively revolutionized the healthcare system and it’s acceptance has become standard of care. Small & large healthcare practices, hospitals, individual practitioners, and healthcare organizations are extremely curious to adapt & invest in new technologies coming up every year. If you are also one of those who keep serious watch on the telehealth trends to bridge the gap between you and your patient, then you are at the right place to understand Telehealth Technology in 2020.
How widespread is Telehealth adoption today?
These days, all of us are spending almost 3 to 5 hours a day on our phones and check our phone at least once per hour. Presence on digital space has become part of our lifestyle. Digital behavior gives a significant boost to mobile healthcare in the system. It also makes sense, right? Nobody (especially millennials ) prefers waiting outside the doctor’s clinic if they are blessed with digital alternatives to connect with their healthcare providers. So, it’s not surprising that adoption and usage of telehealth services (videoconferencing with doctors/nurses, training, remote meetings/appointment, medical educational services, RPM, virtual consultations, etc.) has become the bridge for you to meet patients on a space where everyone likely spends enough amount of time.
Why it’s high time for you to invest in Telehealth?
Every individual in a healthcare umbrella is now acknowledging the importance of innovation to streamline the processes through digital acceptance. Innovation in the healthcare system has brought technology to the forefront and has pushed care quality, efficiency, and affordability to it’s maximum. While ultimately the decision comes down to how much you want to invest in telemedicine to make it work best for you. Here are a few reasons why you should invest in Telehealth technology.
- If you have a large rural or remote patient population to serve.
- If you are consistently having long wait times.
- If your patient satisfaction scores are too low.
- If you have a healthy competition with other healthcare providers in your area.
- If you have lots of follow-up appointments of patients with chronic conditions.
- If you are looking to minimize your hospital readmission rates.
- If you are not getting paid for prescription refills or after-hours calls.
The need for Telehealth in real-time, and expansion in near future
Like so many other technological advancements, Telehealth industry is also quickly moving from novelty to convenience, and it won’t take long to become a necessity. Let’s see how Telehealth’s landscape is creating opportunities.
1. Friendly Policies: Favorable State and Federal policies governing this new way of delivering health care have helped telehealth expand its accessibility. While increasingly more favorable regulatory changes are reconstructing the landscape for telehealth industry, it is expected to revolutionize the field of health care.
2. New Opportunities for Sustainable Care: As we know that older adults are certainly more resistant to new technology than younger patients, today’s tech-savvy adults are tomorrow’s seniors. They will have an almost 70 percent chance of needing some type of support or long term care during their lifetime, and this is where the need for telehealth industry comes to demand with the same convenience, affordability, and safety.
3. Catering Remote Places: With the help of telehealth technology, you can cater to rural/remote areas and bring them under your healthcare system. Patients in a rural or remote area need to wait for healthcare professionals like you, to travel and solve their health-related problems, but it becomes difficult from both ends and there comes the need for telemedicine to enter remote/rural areas. Telemedicine enables remote physician consultations that allow you to connect to patients with faster, cheaper and more efficient ways for diagnosis or treatment. For consultations on generic health concerns, or follow up on chronic conditions, remote consultations can dramatically improve the patient experience while helping rural hospital economics at the same time.
How providers and patients can utilize Telehealth Technology
Telehealth enables you with timely recording and sharing of patient data and keeps you and your patients connected. Telehealth helps you identify real issues and potential concerns at its earliest, enabling timely and efficient treatment for high-risk patients.
Telehealth utilization options include:
- Telemedicine Video Conferencing Solutions – It is the most effective way that allows patients to get connected for remote diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment without indulging in in-person consultations.
- Tele-education through Online Video Conferencing – Conducting medical training using online video conferencing allows you and your colleagues to learn from subject experts all over the world without having to be in the same room.
- Wearable Safety and Security Devices – utilizing electronic sensors and cloud-based technologies play a lead role in Remote Patient Monitoring (RPM). It makes it easy and convenient to collect health metrics and medical data to keep high-risk patients safer in their home environments.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) – This is one of the latest healthcare technology trends. Developing Artificial Intelligence (AI) medical machines – that can process information and provide decision-making data in the same manner as a human. Machine learning algorithms in AI applications can improve the speed and accuracy of the diagnosis process.
- Remote Patient Monitoring – The most used, and perhaps the most important, under telehealth technology. Remote patient monitoring (RPM) is a subcategory of homecare telehealth that allows patients to use mobile medical devices and technology to gather patient-generated health data (PGHD) and send it to healthcare professionals.
Reimbursement initiatives are underway
In healthcare, profitability is generally driven by reimbursements and getting reimbursed for telehealth services can be tricky. Reimbursement for telehealth services provided to the patient depends upon the jurisdiction of the patient’s location while receiving the services. Most states have a legal policy governing telehealth services, although there is a lack of uniformity among other state telehealth guidance.
Many state medical regularities are implementing telemedicine related standards for practitioners. The idea behind this is to enable practitioners to deliver care through telemedicine using the same standards of what in-person care supports.
Given the recent releases of telehealth standards by the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the American Medical Association (AMA), it is expected that many more states will begin implementing legislation regulating telemedicine as a standard of care. The FSMB has issued a document outlining state-by-state regulatory and administrative requirements for the practice of telemedicine.
Telehealth and your EMR/EHR
Streamlining office efficiency as per your needs is one of the most effective solutions for controlling costs and delivering consistent, high-quality patient services. Telemedicine plays a vital role in healthcare delivery today. The benefits of telehealth RPM services continue to expand, along with having a best-fit EHR software. The real-time result-sharing, searchable patient data, and anytime access to medical reports give faster and accurate diagnoses, while patients can review the personal health records and lab results from a personal computing device without ever visiting your office. This is vital for patients seeking care from remote areas and those who face physical or financial obstacles to travel.
Telemedicine is now an integral part of the healthcare system, soon the meaningful value of it is going to take hype. Consideration of telemedicine with an ideal EHR software solution for your practice, that incorporates interoperability features, telecommunication technology, reimbursement rates, and patient outcomes would always be a cherry on the top for your patients. So, are you looking forward to an EHR that helps you increase your efficiency at its best? Schedule a quick live demo with out expert, and let us know how we can associate your requirements with our meaningful technology.